Monday, April 10, 2006

Five Things #3 - You & Your Habits Go With You...

I know a number of people who want to leave their jobs, not because they do not enjoy the work, or their industry, but because they do not care for the office politics, or the people they are working with, or the work environment.

Truth be told, this is exactly why I had to get out of my LAST JOB!
Loved the students - hated the politics.

But there is one thing I have noticed, now that I am going on 16 years of having no one sign my "paycheck" but me...

A lot of the issues I was "running" from followed me into my business, or more accurately, businesses.

As I have "matured" (Code for, as my hair has turned from black to gray), I notice that a number of the things I professed to despise came with me into my business and the reason for this is because I brought this baggage with me...

... Worse, the baggage seemed to be even worse once I was "Free".

There is a scripture I often quote to myself which says: "As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" - Sherman's Interpretation: God places certain people in our lives who will "rub us" the wrong way, and in the process, we actually become better people.

The reality is that once you are the BOSS, there are fewer and fewer who are willing to "risk" rubbing you the wrong way (Critical Reason Why Mastermind Groups Are SOOOO Important for Entrepreneurs).

Think about it... Most people are unwilling to "tick off" the person who is signing the paychecks, even if it is something the person needs to hear. This is generally true of employees and vendors alike. It is amazing how much garbage is out there, whether in the area of advertising, tax advice or advice on raising children, simply because the vendor/consultant was more concerned about getting the check rather than telling the client the truth!

So, on my list of "what I wish I knew then, that I definitely know now", is start now to practice Good Habits, while you are still on someone else's payroll. Once you leave the "nest", there are fewer and fewer people who will tell you the truth about your own Bad Habits.

So, what kind of Good Habits am I talking about....?

Some are as simple as reminding yourself to say, "Thank You and Please..."

I know this sounds "simplistic", but how many times have you said to yourself, "...I know she is my boss, but man I would be more responsive if she simply said 'Thank you' every once in a while - I am no one's lackey..."

So, if you feel this way, what kind of "Boss"/employer are you going to be...?

"Well Sherman, I do not plan on having employees, so this particular post on your blog does not apply to me!" BULL-O-NEY!!

It is virtually impossible to succeed in life, much less business, without the assistance of others. (Guess what we are discussing tomorrow). You can call them contractors, you can call them vendors, you can call them "virtual assistants", but at the end of the day, YOU are giving the directions, and YOU are writing the checks, or giving them a credit card, THEREFORE, YOU ARE THE BOSS.

So lets start today practicing GOOD HABITS.

"Thank you and please" should be a part of every conversation you have.
Getting to the office early, staying late and being THE MOST PRODUCTIVE person in your office are habits you develop today that you will take with you into your business.
Setting aside time each week (best to use the same day and time) to both plan out the week and spend time learning something new, will do you very well when you are "Out", and the only pressure to grow comes from within you.

Anything you do over a 21 day period has the potential to become a "life long" habit, both good, and bad.

Start now eliminating bad habits and integrating new GOOD HABITS.

You will thank yourself down the road, when (seemingly) no one is looking...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home