Sunday, May 14, 2006

"Where I'd (probably) Be Without My Mom..."

Almost every successful person I know believes their mom to be special.

I know my mom is.

Many of you have heard my story of how when I graduated from high school and headed off to college a number of my friends got trips to Europe, or cars, or fancy stereos. My mom gave me a book. It was called the "Magic of Thinking Big" by David Schwartz. I got the better end of that deal.

My mom has always been my biggest fan and cheerleader, and most importantly, my biggest source of inspiration down the road of entrepreneurship. Even the name of my company "Tradewinds" was picked by my mom (one day I'll share the abysmal name I picked and the story behind all this).

There were a number of "magical" moments growing up with my mom, including her saving the day on many a paper and project by staying up with me long past midnight to "get it done" in time to hand in at 8:00 AM. I suppose this is where I get my "night owl" work habits. Not necessarily because of procrastination (although that was a factor), but because of the fun my mom and I had putting the thing together while "getting it done".

As real estate investors we often times say we do it because of the freedom it affords us. I think a main reason I do not work on Mondays is so I can have an entire day to spend with our youngest child - I get this from my mom. One year my mom pulled my older sister and me out of public school and home schooled us, I still remember that year as being the single best year of my life, and the greatest year of learning I have ever had.

As a parent, the most important thing we can give our children is our time. One of the reasons I fight to not over commit to things outside my home. Being a "success" in business and a complete failure at home is being a failure.

Money comes and goes, the time you spend with those you love, particularly your children, lasts more than a lifetime. If G-d puts you in a place of opportunity to care for someone younger than you, don't waste it by letting the world or others be the major influence in their life. As parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, or guardians of young ones, the seeds you plant will bear fruit for years to come both in the lives of your children and their children's children.

I have great faith in the future of my kids and their children, as long as I continue to remember to share with them what my mom taught me both in words and deeds...

...So, where would I be without the love and attention of my mom - I don't even want to think about it.

Thank you mom. I love you, very much.

Happy Mother's Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home