Monday, May 29, 2006

"Freedom Is'nt Free..."

As a kid, my father was in the Army and in his last "tour" stationed at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, DC.

Walter Reed is the Army's flagship hospital, where former presidents, members of Congress and Foreign Dignitaries go when they have the flu. It is also where seriously wounded military men and women go for both physical rehabilitation (loss of limbs and the most serious combat injuries) and also dealing with the mental stress of coming back from war.

I remember as a pre-teen asking my mom who the men and women in "blue robes" were close to where we lived in Forest Glen (Silver Spring). Some of whom I would play pool with in the lounge. As a kid, my sisters and I often had an up-close look at what happens to young men and women returning from the battle front.

In a country with an all-volunteer military, these men and women have chosen to serve, and do so for a sense of duty that is much deeper than a paycheck, and the men and women who came (come) through Walter Reed, and other medical facilities often times describe themselves as, "the lucky ones".

It's a beautiful day today on the East Coast. A great time to be outside, and be with family and friends.

I thank G-d that of all the places in the world He could have placed me, He chose this country and this time.
But most of all, I thank Him for the men and women who serve and those who were not in the group of the "lucky ones".

Freedom really is not free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home